Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Compost Toilet three month update.

I couldn't wait until tomorrow, I just had to change the bucket today such is my enthusiasm. ;D

I didn't actually change buckets but just tipped the full one into and empty one and retained a bit at the bottom to start off the next batch, as it were.

Two people for three months and shall we do a "guess the weight" competition? No, I will put you out of your misery, I can hear you all tittering into you tea. Just under 8 kg which is no weight at all really.

I have said before, there is only a slight whiff and that is one of horse manure and not really offensive. No nasty niffs like when you tread in dog poo. I must say that it is really dry and as such has not composted to a great extent. What must be done now is to cover the poo with a couple of inches of soil and moisten the contents. Leave the lid open slightly and leave for six months. It may need the odd watering I suppose, we'll see. I will make mine rat proof just in case and see how we get on.

For more information on the subject of Humanure try these.

http://www.sanitationventures.com/_pdf/Latrines-Literature-Review.pdf

http://oikos.com/library/compostingtoilet/pathogens.html

http://humanurehandbook.com/

the last can be read/downloaded chapter by chapter on line.

I am a very happy bunny. I haven't had to do anything to the toilet for three whole months. What joy, no smell, no fuss, no hassle, and Mrs B is happy too. [image]


No comments:

Post a Comment